Formaldehyde as a fixitive in vaccines

Damien Rothstein doctord at connexus.apana.org.au
Sat Aug 31 21:38:30 EST 1996

In article <4v9k4i$hj1 at news.Austria.EU.net>, Bender at pc.bender.co.at
says...

>bcb56 at ix.netcom.com(Betty Bridges) wrote:
>>
>> From a medline abstract
>>
>> Enhancement of protective immune responses to Venezuelan equine
>> encephalitis (VEE) virus with microencapsulated vaccine.
>>
>> Arthors: Greenway TE; Eldridge JH; Ludwig G; Sta
>> as JK; Smith JF; Gilley RM; Michalek
>>
>> Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294,
>> USA.
>>
>> Formaldehyde is used as a fixative in a vaccine and enhances the
>> antibody response to the vaccine.  Other fixatives are also indicated
>> as increasing the responsiveness to the vaccine.
>>
>> With that in mind is it possible for formaldehyde and other reactive
>> chemicals to bind with other substances in the air and cause a immune
>> response to those substances?
>>
>> Would there be any significant difference in the effect of substances
>> inhaled and absorbed into the blood stream and those given by
>> vaccination?
>>

>> Betty Bridges, RN

Im sorry but i thought formaldehyde / paraformaldehyde / formalin and
their derivatives cross-linked proteins during primary and secondary
fixation of tissues and as a consequence the protein antigenic
determinants were lost/destroyed thus reducing the immune response to
these determinants.

However keeping in mind that the aldehydes have reactive groups for ANY
proteins (even those linked to sugars and lipids) I do believe that these
would react with proteins in the atmosphere (although i don't know why
under a laminar flow hood these would be there) and hence induce an
immune response (as long as there was the required "hapten-carrier
effect" present to induce the response ie. there was a LOT of cross
linking happening).

vaccination is a direct injection into the body, ususally making its way
into the peripheral lymphatic system in direct contact with the immune
system, this way there is an immediate response to the same foreign body
by this system. Inhalation of an aerosol has a delayed effect (unless its
some kind of vasopressin or similar) on the immune system as the
substance has to be processed through a longer pathway by the APC's of
the immune system thus I suggest that inhalation gives a delayed response
and would require a much higher dose than with injection/vaccination.

Regards,
Damien Rothstein BSc. Uni. Melb.(Australia)