american natives and first european invaders

M. Doherty M_Doherty at
Thu Feb 1 11:13:12 EST 1996

In article <travers-3001961120460001 at>,
travers at (Paul J Travers) wrote:

> In article <mcoon-2901961757570001 at>,
> mcoon at (M. Coon) wrote:
> > Question; Are south american indian peoples more or less interbred with
> > europeans than north american indians?

I suspect it has less to do with the winnowing effect of diseases (to
which south american poplations were liberally exposed, too) as with
discrete waves of settlement.  There are a number of genetic markers which
suggest that the americas were subject to waves of new settlers coming
from europe/asia,over a very long time frame (though to be fair, this idea
is still subject to vigorous debate).

It thus makes a certain amount of sense that more northern populations
(who presumably migrated into area later than the southerly groups) are
closer to the "ancestral" stock - whatever that was.

Cheers, Mark