American Indians/European Invaders

John Cherwonogrodzky jcherwon at dres.dnd.ca
Fri Feb 2 16:56:19 EST 1996

Dear M. Coon:
     I forget the source (Scientific American, Discover) but there was an
excellent review on native Indian susceptibility to European diseases. Seems
that Europeans lived with animals and co-evolved with some of their diseases
(smallpox/cowpox) or had enough plagues (e.g. Black Death) so that resistant
populations emerged. Native Indians on the other hand had few domesticated
animals and were susceptible to these diseases. Hence the figure varies from
50-95% of their numbers being wiped out.
     Regarding genetics, I saw a documentary about a year ago where native
populations in North and South America were assessed genetically. Seems
there's 3 regions, the Inuit in the tundra, the native Indians in an area
roughly within Canada, and everyone else (US all the way to the tip of Chile).
     My own thoughts appear to be wrong. I thought that perhaps there were
several, not just one, migration. The first were Polynesians landing in the
Peru/Colombia area about 50,000 years ago, the second were the Siberians
crossing the land-bridge about 10,000 years ago. I took it from the
documentary that native Indians have different genetic ancestory
than the former.     Take care...John