Looking for info on "Satellite RNA"

Eleusis eleusis at netcom.com
Sun Feb 11 08:31:44 EST 1996

Greetings...

I recently attended a lecture at the University of South Florida concerning
novel prophylactic methods against viral infectious diseases. The method
involved splicing the vDNA instructions for coding the protein coat of the
Rabies virus. When an animal eats the plant, immunity is presumably
conferred. I assume that this would only work in cases where the protein
coat is not degraded immediately either by the gastric environment, or
pepsin. In the example provided by the speakers, Rabies immunity was
successfully conferred to test animals this way.

Anyway, the method of introduction was via "satellite RNA", which is
something I am not in the slightest bit familiar with. I am aware that many
bacteria can incorporate free DNA into their own to try out possibly
advantageous mutations, and that viruses can be used to splice in vDNA into
plants, bacteria, etc... cells, but I didn't think that plant nor animal
cells would merely pick up RNA or DNA from the external environment and
start splicing it in. Seems there is either a large chunk of info I don't
know about concerning this, or I've completely misunderstood the process.
Any information, sources or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

     .        <eleusis at netcom.com> - Finger me for my PGP Key          .
   .       /o\    Give me lava lamps or give me death...   /o\       .