ban Dihydrogen monoxide

McFarlane, Rob G MCFARLAN at WHIO.LINCOLN.AC.NZ
Sun Feb 11 17:43:51 EST 1996

Re posting by psu05565 at odin.cc.pdx.edu (Bryan Grieg Fry)

The Invisible Killer...indeed.

The dissemination of this preposterous rubbish has to be curtailed
and we as responsible scientists must reject these wild and absurd
notions on scientific, let alone emotional and spiritual, grounds.

Whilst some of the claims associated with the use or misuse of
Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) must be accepted, the blatant confounding
of effects by other factors is ignored. For example, "in its solid
form causes severe tissue damage" i.e frostbite. Yes, but so does the
omission of wearing gloves or thermal underware in cold climes. As
to DHMO ingestion causing "electrolyte imbalance, nausea....",
I need not point out that DHMO is frequently mixed with other "really
toxic" chemicals such as ethanol which in itself is much more likely
to cause the symptoms that appear so worrysome to the correspondent.
As an aside, and in common with many of the public health vaccine
programmes that we have recently learn some much about, there is a
price to pay- for the frivolous overingestion of DHMO and ethanol, as
there sadly is for vaccinal side effects. In short, DHMO intoxication
can occur causing tremor, incoordination, convulsions and possible
polioencephalomalacia, haemoglobinuria and hypothermia, but DHMO
deprivation is equally serious and animals frequently display
gauntness, sunken eyes and weakness and abortion may occur later. In
addition, animals become frenzied and begin to destroy their
surroundings in an attempt to find water. A horrible sight.

The attack on DHMO because of its effects on the environment is even
more outrageous. To suggest that DHMO causes "rusting of many
metals" without any authoritative source such as the Village Voice
or the Little River Weekly Newsletter to back up this assertion
leaves me speechless. Cold fusion all over again. Indeed the causes
of the network of rust on my retired Peugeot 404 have been blamed on
recent French nuclear activities in Mururoa Atoll in the South
Pacific (pers comm Greenpeace, 1995).

I seriously question the credentials of someone who quotes, obviously
with relish, some presidential decree that implies that rubbing
against the Alaska pipeline can produce babies. What next! He will
probably suggest crude oil can cause ecological catastrophies. Us
scientists need verifiable proof. Please stop this tirade.

Robin.

    Robin McFarlane,
    Principal Research Officer,
    Animal and Veterinary Science Group,
    Lincoln University,
    NEW ZEALAND.
    Phone: 64-03-3252811 (ext 8176), Fax: 64-03-3253851
    e mail:mcfarlan at lincoln.ac.nz