nickel allergy - Seeking info on Immunopathogenesis??

calman prussin calman_prussin at nih.gov
Wed Feb 28 12:14:28 EST 1996

Nickle hypersensitivity is a cell mediated (type IV) pnenomenon. I am
not aware of Abs specific for either Ni or Ni-protein complexes. The
immunopathology was worked out by Sinigaglia and published around 89-91
(EJI-maybe?). As I remember Ni complexes to either MHC or self peptide
(can't remember which) and creates a neoepitope that is recognized by T
cells. He has actually made Ni specific and Au specific T cell clones.
It is very cool work.

Interestingly, Ni sensitivity predominates in women, presumably because
they are exposed to Ni under inflammatory conditions-earrings.

Calman Prussin
Laboratory of Allergic Disease
NIAID/ NIH