Animals and Blood Types

JRDVMDIVER jrdvmdiver at aol.com
Sat Jan 6 06:04:58 EST 1996

In article <ant051651868h9e%@mrc7acorn1.path.cam.ac.uk>, "Dr. Mike Clark"
<mrc7 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

>There are some problems analogous to human disorders which depend upon
>animal blood groups. For example horses and I think pigs can suffer from
>haemolytic disease of the newborn (HDN) following aquisition of maternal
>immunoglobulin specific for paternal blood group antigens.

Neonatal foals can develop Neonatal Isoerythrolysis, similar to R factor
incompatablities in humans.  The Q and A groups are the biggest problem.
The foal inherits the sire's blood type, the mare has antiRBC-antibody in
the colostrum, the foal ingests and absorbs the colostrum and develops NI.
 We also have some evidence of Neonatal AlloImmune Thrombocytopenia in
mules foals.

Good Luck  IMHO  O-)  Dr JR
email JRDVMDIVER at aol.com
Julie A. Robinson DVM, MVSc, MS, DABVP (Equine)
All Standard Disclaimers Apply...