Polymyocytis

Linda Lytle LLYTLE at PATHOLOGY.UMSMED.EDU
Tue Jan 9 15:49:05 EST 1996

herdm at fp.co.nz (Michael Herd) wrote:

>Hello Immuno-netters,

>Does anyone know much about polymyocytis?  I'm not an immunologist, but I believe
>that polymyocytis is an auto-immune disease that affects muscle tissue.  Is this true?

>I'm asking on behalf of a friend who has this disease.  The disease affects his
>muscles and he is not sure if exercise will help or harm his condition.  Any useful
>information on diet and living with polymyocytis will be much appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Michael.

>--
>+---------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Michael Herd                 |  Fisher & Paykel               |
>| Software Developer           |  Range and Dishwasher Division |
>| Email :   herdm at fp.co.nz     |  Private Bag 50033             |
>| Fax   :   +64 3 489 7611     |  Mosgiel                       |
>| Ph    :   +64 9 489 3819     |  New Zealand                   |

I also have a friend who has polymyocitis.  It is an auto-immune
disease which affects the muscles.  He has been diagnosed for about
one year and is still on steroid therapy and chemotherapy.

His initial symptoms were weakness in the lower back and difficulty in
swallowing.  It progressed to weakness in the arms and abnormal
posture.  His condition has improved and has started to exercise.
However, he has had to slow down because his CPK started to elevate.

I can write more if you want it.