how to get monoclonal antibodies directed against mouse proteins

jc catalano jcc at alumnae.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 11 03:18:50 EST 1996

Hello-

This may sound somewhat silly, but suppose that I want to study a protein
from a mouse and would like monoclonal antibodies, is there a convenient
way to do this?
Being a non-immunologist, I understand that the usual way to make mAB's is
to inject mice with protein X, then take spleen cells that have antibodies
directed against X, fuse with myeloma cells, and pick out the monoclonals
via an ELISA.

So do you use a rat or another animal to produce anti-mouse monoclonals?

Any help or references appreciated. Thanks in advance.

j.c.