Immunity through feeding

John Cherwonogrodzky jcherwon at dres.dnd.ca
Thu Jan 11 16:08:32 EST 1996

Dear Chris Jones:
    I'm not an immunologist either. However, I believe that shortly after
piglets are born, they do not have stomach acid and absorb proteins readily
through their mucousal linings hence they readily absorb colostrum and hence
the maternal antibodies. Provided it is early enough, feeding them plasma
which may contain antibodies may also give passive immunity (similar to
injections of GammaGlobulin for world travelers that need general immunity to
a wide range of agents). Take care...John