Keith R. Kuhn kkuhn at pennet.net
Sat Jan 20 01:20:06 EST 1996

I noted a posting somewhere earlier on this subject, but
cannot find it.  My own references provide the following on
Until recently, all known chemokines could be placed into
two biochemical superfamilies.  These families could be
characterized by four cysteine residues in their
composition.  A cysteine to cysteine bonding motif denoted
one family (e.g. RANTES) and a cysteine -x- cysteine motif
denoted the other chemokine family (e.g.IL-8). This C-x-C
amino acid structures are sometimes referred the -
chemokine family and the C-C amino acid structures the
-chemo-kines.   RANTES are produced by T cells and act
mainly on CD4+ T cells and monocytes.  Rantes made from
recombinant DNA expressed in E. coli are commercially
OK, what I would like to know, is from where is the term
"rantes" derived.  What does it stand for?  I run into this
problem of technical jargon may times when scanning the
journals and usually my references will provide a
clarification.  Here they have failed my.  Thanks for any
help you care to provide.