RANTES

Keith R. Kuhn kkuhn at pennet.net
Sat Jan 20 01:20:06 EST 1996

I noted a posting somewhere earlier on this subject, but
cannot find it.  My own references provide the following on
RANTES:
Until recently, all known chemokines could be placed into
two biochemical superfamilies.  These families could be
characterized by four cysteine residues in their
composition.  A cysteine to cysteine bonding motif denoted
one family (e.g. RANTES) and a cysteine -x- cysteine motif
denoted the other chemokine family (e.g.IL-8). This C-x-C
amino acid structures are sometimes referred the -
chemokine family and the C-C amino acid structures the
-chemo-kines.   RANTES are produced by T cells and act
mainly on CD4+ T cells and monocytes.  Rantes made from
recombinant DNA expressed in E. coli are commercially
available.
OK, what I would like to know, is from where is the term
"rantes" derived.  What does it stand for?  I run into this
problem of technical jargon may times when scanning the
journals and usually my references will provide a
clarification.  Here they have failed my.  Thanks for any
help you care to provide.
KK MTASCP