antibodies for single sugars?

Leslie Confer lconfer at moose.erie.net
Sat Jan 20 22:01:42 EST 1996

In article <DLHMw7.EAz at cunews.carleton.ca>,
   nbatada at chat.carleton.ca (Nizar Batada) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to produce antibodies
> that will recognize different sugars, eg glucose, mannose, sialic
> acid etc. Are antibodies too big to recognize single sugars that
> have been separated on polyacrylamide gel? Any input will be much
> appreciated.
>
> Nizar

In my opinion, it would be very difficult to produce an antibody
(at least by standard immunization and cloning techniques) to single
sugars, since these occur naturally (or can be metabolized) in most
higher level organisms.  Antibodies are produced in response to an
antigen recognized as non-self (with certain exceptions in autoimmune
protein engineering techniques, but I don't know of anyone currently
doing this.

Les