Electroporation???

Shoichi Kaisaki KAISAKI-1SU at h.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Jan 24 01:16:31 EST 1996

At  8:26 PM 96.1.23 -0600, David James Neece wrote:
>Suppose you're working in the lab with your favorite plasmid clone.  Being a
>slob, you're not wearing gloves and have managed to get a small amount of
>plasmid DNA on the tip of your finger.  As you switch off the lab lights
>to get a better look at that gel, there is a strong discharge of static
>electricity from your finger (w/DNA) to the grounded light switch.  Could
>your finger be _electroporated_ ???
>
>If you are working with a Luciferase vector, check your finger-tips
>tonight and let me know...
>
>Just a thought,
>Dave.

As you know it has become apparent that intramuscular injection of naked
plasmid expression vector leads to the weak expression of the encoded
protein and , if immunogenic, it can stimmulate host immune system against
itself. What will researcers do next? Yes they will try to increase the
expression by various methods performed in vitro transfection experiment
such as calcium phosphate precipitate or  lipid-mediated gene transfer.
Though electroporation is one of choice you would think there is no one
that try it in vivo. But there was!!

At the Annual Meeting of Japanease Cancer Association last year I found one
poster presentation. It showed that the expression level of intradermally
or subcutaneously injected DNA was higher if electric pulse was charged
locally in mouse model. Antibody against the encoded protein was also
detected. The voltage of electric pulse was 200-400V for subcutaneous
injection and 400-600V for intradermal injection. The electric pulse was
charged eight times at the interval of one second. They designated the
method Pulse Electric Field Gene Transfer(PEFGT). I don't know in details
because they have not published the result yet.

I'm not saying this method is applicable to human therapy. But if someone
working with a Luciferase  vector prick his finger and put the finger into
Gene Pulser instead of a cuvett, there would be stronger expression of
Luciferase in his finger than without electroporation, I think.

Shoichi Kaisaki
Department of Surgery,
University of Tokyo