are male and female sperm immunologically distinguishable?

Deb Britt debbritt at
Tue Jul 16 10:03:03 EST 1996

In article <kirberg-1107961902520001 at>, kirberg at (Jorg
Kirberg) wrote:

> In article <M_Doherty-1107960941210001 at>,
> M_Doherty at (M. Doherty) wrote:
> > In article <4s263a$9ii at>, xyzzyx at (xyzzyx) wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to distinguish a male sperm from a female sperm,
> > immunologically?
> >
> Actually, if you simply want to know wether it's a 'female or male' sperm
> (it should more correctly read whether the sperm carries a X or Y chomosome)
> this is (most amazingly) possible with flow cytometry - (snip)

I believe you can detect the difference by fluorescent in situ
hybridization, using a probe specific for the Y chromosome.  This is,
however, no good if you still want them alive when you are done

Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
Medical Oncology
RI Hospital/Brown University