Fixing tissues

Christine Pechoux Christine.Pechoux at cri.ens-lyon.fr
Wed Nov 13 08:41:31 EST 1996

In article (Dans l'article) <32813601.5579 at forestry.ca>, Anthony, Pang:,
apang at forestry.ca wrote (écrivait) :

> I read somewhere that using formaldhyde in fixing tissues will
> cross-link tissues in the sections. This may cause a problem in receptor
> detection. Is this true? I am looking for the formula for Bouin-Hollande
> 10% sublimate ( P. Brandtzaeg: Tissue preparation methods for
> immunocytochemistry IN "Techniques in Immunocytochemistry Vol 1, edited
> by G.R. Bullock and P. Petrusz, 1982"- I don't have this volume)
>
> Please send formula to : apang at forestry.ca

Hi,
I some experiences in immunochemistry, and tissues fixation, so
commercialy formaldhyde is not the best fixative existed. And
Bouin-Hollande is really bad, and if you can avoid to use it !
So paraformaldehyde fixative is is the most widely used fixative, either
with or without the addition of glutaraldehyde.
The paraformaldehyde concentration is between 1 to 4%, and high
glutaraldahyde concentration (>0,5%) increased structural preservation,
but also decreased the signal.
So try both fixatives alone or mixed and goog luck
Christine