reading the results of blood test

David Bohmert globsci at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 15 17:33:29 EST 1996

In <01bbd306$dc9c0ea0$0f63bec7 at Jerry.southconn.com> "Jerry Moody"
<jerry at southconn.com> writes:

>I recently had blood work done at work through a health fair. I
received
>the results in the mail and would like to know what the numbers mean
in
>regards to what is normal, low, high etc.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jerry

Jerry, you probably had a "Chem panel" (Chemistry panel) and a CBC
(Complete blood count)done on your blood. The lab business has
established normal ranges for test results for "a paticular test" in
"that paticular laboratory" based on the methodology being utilized. In
many cases the normal ranges are the same across the board from
laboratory to laboratory for many tests. You obviously don't know where
you stand with out knowing the normal ranges that have been
established. In a hospital, results are reported out to a physician
with the normal ranges printed next to the result, an asterisk is even
included to "flag" an abnormal result. Something you might want to
consider, "normal" for a test result comes froma a range established
statistically from a given population, ie... normal for everyone else
may not be normal for you. Optimally, a base line result is established
for your indiviual biochemistry at a point when you are at the best of
health. This reference point could than be compared when you have a
problem to determine just how much of a problem you have, compared to
"your" normal results, not the rest of the populations. IMHO, A genuine
interpretation of these results is not really something the lay person
should be persueing without adequate medical guidance.

I would call the group that provided the test results, hope that helps.