Erythromycin Breath Test

Administrador de postmast at
Mon Nov 18 22:22:14 EST 1996

Rory McCann wrote:

>Does anyone know what the erythromycin breath test is and what it's
>significance is?
>I think it may have something to do with cyclosporin levels.

I think it's used to measure cytochrome p450 (cyp3a I seem to remember)
inhibition (by cyclosporin for example).  It consists in giving an oral dose
of erythromicin and measuring one of its metabolites (produced by cyp3a in
I might be able to find a ref. somewhere.  Let me know if you need it.

Hope it helps,

Facundo Garcia Bournissen,
Dept. of Pharmacology, School of Medicine,
University of Buenos Aires,
Paraguay 2155, Piso 16,
(2122) Capital Federal.

Fax: (541) 964-0505.