adjuvents

Nicole nglowack at students.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 1 10:00:46 EST 1996

A first injection with Freund's Complete Adjuvant (mineral oil
plus mycobacterium) followed by boosters with Freund's Incomplete Adjuvant
(just mineral oil) have worked well for my laboratory.  Do not vaccinate
more than once with Freund's Complete as  it will cause a severe local
hyperimmune reaction including open sores and other nasty effects for the
animal.

We have also used aluminum hydroxide (alum, Al(OH)3).  This adjuvant
comes in different forms.  The gel has worked well for us in the
past.  We typically a 1% alum mixture.  High concentrations of
protein in this adjuvant will cause clogging of the needle.  If you
are using 100ug/ml or higher protein concentrations, use a larger needle
and make your vaccine fresh.  This adjuant mixes readilly with water and
will only slightly dissociate over time, just vortex for a few seconds and
you're ready to go.

There are also some commercial (patented?) adjuvants.

Nicole Glowacki
Medical Oncology
University of Wisconsin
Comprehensive Cancer Center