Allergies and IgA

John King johnkate at indigo.ie
Tue Oct 1 04:14:04 EST 1996

I am wondering if IgA can neutralize allergens by binding to them and
preventing their absorbtion into the body proper or at least
preventing them from binding sites that would lead to an allergic
reaction.  If they do then it seems logical to fight allergies by
somehow getting the body to produce specific IgAs in order to
neutralize the allergen.  It seems like the present approach is to
either lower the bodies response to allergens (antihistamines, allergy
shots etc.) and to produce IgGs to interact with the allergen in the
blood.  It would be better in my opinion to prevent the allergen from
even entering the body proper in significant amounts.  IgA can
neutralize viruses - so why not allergens.