Apoptosis in AIDS

James Howard phis at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 2 09:04:18 EST 1996

Apoptosis in AIDS is due to loss of DHEA.

Whenever I am researching applications of my theory of DHEA in a
particular subject, I always see if research exists regarding the subject at
issue during times when I know DHEA is declining, naturally.  One of these
times happens to be during aging.  I found the following regarding aging and
apoptosis.

Muskhelishvile L, et al., "Age-related Changes in the Intrinsic Rate of
Apoptosis in Livers of Diet-restricted and ad libitum-fed B6c3F1 Mice," Am.
J. Pathol. 1995; 147: 20.

"The rate of apoptotic cell death was found to be elevated with age in both
diet groups; however, the rate of apoptosis was significantly and consistently
higher in the diet-restricted mice, relative to the ad libitum-fed mice,
regardless of age."

It is known that reducing calories (diet restriction) reduces DHEA.  Aging
also reduces DHEA.  (I think the natural loss of DHEA of aging is the cause
of aging.)  This means to me that loss of DHEA increases apoptosis.  DHEA
is reduced as AIDS progresses (this is in J. Acquired Immune Deficiency
Syndromes 1992; 5: 841 and Am. J. Med. Sci. 1993; 305: 79).  If I am
correct, the increase in apoptosis in HIV disease should increase with
progression.  This is the case:

Gougeon ML, et al., "Programmed Cell Death in Peripheral Lymphocytes
from HIV-infected Persons: Increased Susceptibility to Apoptosis of CD4 and
CD8 T Cells Correlates with Lymphocyte Activation and with Disease
Progression,"  J. Immunol 1996; 156: 3509

"Altogher these observations indicate that the increased susceptibility to
apoptosis of peripheral T cells from HIV-infected persons correlates with
disease progression and support the hypothesis that the chronic activation of
the immune system ocurring throughout HIV infection is the primary
mechanism responsible for this cell deletion process."

I think the loss of DHEA of AIDS is the cause of increased apoptosis in