Anti-rhesus antibodies

Andrew J. Doherty a.doherty at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Oct 18 08:23:24 EST 1996

Hi all you immunologists out there,

I wonder if anyone could enlighten me as to when antibodies to the
Rhesus factor normally appear in Rh- women carrying Rh+ foetuses? Do
they normally appear early, giving rise to a sensitisation at birth, or
are they normally only generated in the first place through foetal
contamination of maternal blood during birth, and so sensitise the
mother  in subsequent pregnancies?

Ta very much for your help in advance.

   Dr Andrew Doherty
   Department of Anatomy