CCR4 mutation

Derya Unutmaz unutmaz at saturn.med.nyu.edu
Sun Sep 15 10:49:19 EST 1996

biraju patel wrote:

> Hello, I heard a mutation in the CCR4 gene is known to prevent the M
> tropic HIV from infecting individuals.  I also believe it was found
> that in European populations this mutation appears homozygously in approx
> 1% of the population and approx 30% heterozygously.  So since, most
> likely, it hasn't been long enough for that specific human population to
> "adapt" to HIV, why is the mutation or "HIV resistant" allele common in
> that population?
>
>                                                         Bear

Correction: the mutation is in CCR-5 gene not CCR-4 which is the
coreceptor for M-tropic HIV. The papers are published in recent Cell and
Nature.

Derya

Derya Unutmaz, M.D.
Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine
NYU Medical Center,  Lab 2-17
550 First ave.
New York, NY, 10016

Tel:  (212) 263 69 21