Neutrophil phagocytosis

Corrado Cilio Corrado.Cilio at cmb.ume.se
Mon Sep 16 16:43:15 EST 1996

Mike Collier wrote:

> A colleague is about to undertake a project using flow cytometry to
> investigate Neutrophil phagocytosis. Does anyone have any experience /
> methods in this field using whole blood
> --
> Mike Collier       mike at mcollier.demon.co.uk
>
> Chief MLSO
> Haematology laboratory
> Princess Margaret Hospital
> SWINDON
> WILTS
> ENGLAND
>
> Phone 01793 426340
> FAX   01793 426827
Dear mike,

I have done some work on human neutrophils, in whole blood, looking for
phagocytosis and metabolic burst by FACS analysis. It was working find. I
had a nice protocol from Sandra Perticarari (Trieste, Italy) (see
references below). The method take advantage of hydrethidine (HE) and
FITC-labeled bacteria (Staph or Candida) using 100 ul of whole blood. You
can incubate the samples with PMA or with zymosan plus HE and/or bacteria
and look for oxidative burst activation (hydroethine --ox--> Ethidium
Bromide --> fluorscence emission on FL3) and phagocytosis (FITC on FL1). I
did also staining for surface markers on monocytes (i.e. PE-conjugated
anti-CD14 on FL2) in a three-color flow cytometric analysis.
If you want I can give you more details on the protocol, just let me know
by e-mail.
I hope it will help.