Trypsin in tissue sections

Dr. Manuel Saenz Terrrazas jmsaenz at
Thu Aug 7 18:59:09 EST 1997

I am performing TUNEL assays in liver paraffin-embedded tissue sections.

One step specified by the manufacturer of my commercial kit involves the
incubation of the slide in proteinase K (20 ug/ml in 10 mM Tris/HCl, pH
7.4/8.0 for 15-30 min at 37 C). Just today i found my self without any
amount of proteinse K. The manual proposes using trypsin instead of pK but
it does not mention the working concentration.

Does anybody knows the working concentration of trypsin to release DNA from
histones without damaging the rest of the tissue in order to obtain a
acceptable microphotographs?

I would like to use this microphotographs in the final paper of my work.

Thanks in advance:

Manuel Saenz-Terrazas M.D.
Graduate Student in Immunology
School of Chemistry