Tobacco allergy

John Richard Seavitt jrseavit at
Tue Aug 19 10:12:36 EST 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, volm timothy gerard wrote:

> I was interested in know ing if the epitope responible for human allergic
> reactions to tobacco has been identified, and if there are any thoughts on
> producing a "vaccine" that would induce allergic reactions in humans? To
> be used  to assist people in quitting smoking and keeping children from
> starting? any thoughts? Thanks.

Whooh!  Nothing like having an alleric reaction after the guy next to you
lights up at an outdoor concert, the smoking section across the room in a
restaurant, or just walking along on the street.  "Allergic" senstitivity
is awfully sensitive; I'd be seriously concerned about 'nontheraputic'
exposures inducing the same effect.