Cancer-antigen

Rachel Teitelbaum teitelba at aecom.yu.edu
Tue Feb 4 09:30:38 EST 1997

There was a while back a treatment I thought was promising, but have lost
sight of the follow-up.  Anyone out there know what happened?  They were
transfecting cancer cells with a plasmid containing the gene for a
costimulatory molecule, called B7.  T cells, in order to recognize
antigen need 2 signals, one from the peptide in the MHC context, to
interact with the T cell receptor, and one from a costimulatory molecule,
like B7, or some of the adhesion molecules.  They had done this
transfection on melanomas, and a carcinoma, I believe, and found that
they could get immunologically mediated rejection of the tumor.  The
hypothesis was that cells turned tumorigenic are self, and thus have no
costimulation, hence tolerize the host, which is why your immune system
doesn't usually autoreact.

Anyway, when this came out I thought it looked promising.  Does anyone
out there know what happened?  Was there ever a clinical trial?

-Rachel