Th1-Th2 / MHC dependent?

Guy Hermans ghermans at luc.ac.be
Tue Feb 4 11:37:12 EST 1997

In article <32F6EE3E.7779 at gemini.ci.uc.pt>, psantos at gemini.ci.uc.pt wrote:

> My question is: is there any evidence to assume that different
> individuals could present a Th1 or Th2 response to the same pathogen
> (e.g. M. tuberculosis), developing resistance or susceptibility,
> influenced by their MHC molecules and the peptides they select for
> presentation?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Paulo Santos

Hello Paulo,

I am working on the Th1-Th2 paradigm in humans as well. Up till now,
no-one has demonstrated directly that there is a link between MHC genes
and the type of response.
Note, however, that determining the type of Th1/Th2 response may take
quite some work on a single subject. You would need to examine a lot of
different people if you don't want to go the molecular way (eg
interchanging MHC genes by genetic engeneering in a well-defined APC cell
line). The former approach would imply you're going to get a criticism on
the influence of MHC-linked genes on the Th1/Th2 bias- supposing for a
moment you really do find one.

Greetings,

Guy Hermans
ghermans at luc.ac.be