DTH and Footpad Swelling

Omar O. Barriga oobarrig at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 4 23:06:58 EST 1997

In article <gregoryr-0202971748010001 at mia-fl14-29.ix.netcom.com> gregoryr at ix.netcom.com (Gregory Harriman) writes:
>From: gregoryr at ix.netcom.com (Gregory Harriman)
>Newsgroups: bionet.immunology
>Subject: DTH and Footpad Swelling
>Date: 2 Feb 1997 22:48:55 GMT

>                                 WANTED!

>A protocol for testing delayed-type hypersensitivity in mice by measuring
>footpad swelling following immunization.

>If you have a protocol for this, could you please post it here?

>It would be greatly appreciated by me and I suspect others reading this
>newsgroup would find it valuable.  Thank you in advance.

Years ago I did some work of this nature. I used the vehicle of the antigenic
solution as the standard and measured the thickness of the paw (betweeen the
dorsal and palmar aspects) with a constant pressure caliper. I injected 0.05
ml of the stuff directly beneath the right palmar pad. The right (injected )
and left (non-injected control) paws were measured at 15 and 30 minutes
(inmediate type hypersensitivity), 2 and 4 hours (intermediate type), adn 12,
24, and 48 hours (delayed type). Every injection was replicated in 6 mice so I
had 6 values for each measurement (6 mice injected with the standard and 6
with the antigens).
	I compared the right with the left paws to see how much enlargement the
injection (od the standard or the antigens) caused and how long it lasted. I
also compared the right paws of the 6 standard-injected mice with the right
paws of the 6 antigen injected mice. Comparison were made by the Wilcoxon
(Mann-Whitney) test for unrelated samaples and by analysis of variance and
Boferroni comparison.
	If you need more, just ask.

	Good luck,
				Omar O. Barriga, DVM, PhD