Cancer-antigen

Tom Thatcher ttha at uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Tue Feb 4 21:38:12 EST 1997

In article <32f71907.2661514 at news.algonet.se>,
Niklas Agerhem <agem at algonet.se> wrote:

>Is there a known antigen that could target cancer tumors or is it
>still to be discovered?

Some types of tumors express antigens that have been shown to stimulate
or assist immune responses in animal models.  Other types of tumors
either do not express tumor-specific antigens, or do not express a
consistent antigen among different patients with the same tumor type.

>Which is the most promising therapy in the immuno-field?
>Are there therapies with MOAB's that have been tested on humans.

mAbs are out of fashion, I think.  If you use a mouse mAb the human patient
eventually develops immunity against it which makes it ineffective
as a treatment.  So assuming you have a human mAb, it has to be
directed against an antigen found on a high enough percentage of
--
Tom Thatcher                          | You can give a PC to a Homo habilis,
University of Rochester Cancer Center | and he'll use it, but he'll use it