Cancer-antigen

John Cherwonogrodzky jcherwon at dres.dnd.ca
Fri Feb 7 10:27:06 EST 1997

Dear Colleagues:
     I'm a bacteriologist, not an immunologist and certainly not an
oncologist.  Please excuse my ignorance but the topic of cancer antigens has
been raised. Tom Thatcher replied that it might be possible to surgically
remove a tumour, then make an immunostimulatory construct and
inject this back in. Although he had some reservations on this, it got me
thinking: Could one surgically remove a tumour, extract antigens either
specific or more expressed on the cancer cells, inject this with an adjuvant
or immuno-stimulatory agent, and then initiate a type of tissue rejection
cascade to eliminate any secondary tumours?
     Take care...John