need help on delayed type hypersensitivity

Caro Field Carolyn.Field at path.utas.edu.au
Fri Feb 7 02:57:46 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SV4.3.94.970203152241.5732F-100000 at hsc.usc.edu>, Veronica
Sendersky <sendersk at hsc.usc.edu> wrote:

> If someone could help me, i am trying to find out how delayed type
> hypersensitivity could be used to test T-cell Function.

In humans, a fairly commonly used test for in vivo DTH is the CMI
Multitest, available from Pasteur Merieux. The test kit is a plastic
contraption with 8 'applicators' that deliver a standard dose of 7 common
antigens and a glycerine control intradermally when the test is applied to
the forearm.  AFter 48 hrs you measure the diameters of the indurations
and then using the handbook produced by Pasteur Merieux, you can calculate
the total or sum score for the whole test.

For animals such as mice, ear swelling is commonly used. You immunise the
mouse with a particular antigen or hapten (eg FITC painted onto the shaved
back or abdomen) and then apply some of the antigen to both sides of one
ear. 24-48 hrs later measure the thickness of both ears with an engineer's
spring micrometer, and compare the thicknesses of the painted ear with the
ear to which no antigen is applied.  Some people also use footpad swelling
as a measure of DTH, but I personally think that ear swelling is less
likely to cause discomfort to the animal being tested.

hope this is helpful,

Cheers

Caro
PS these are commonly used tests, the details of which can be found in any
handbook of immunological methods
--
Carolyn.Field at path.utas.edu.au           Division of Pathology
                                         University of Tasmania

     "If God is a mouse, we Immunologists are in big trouble"