Th1-Th2 / MHC dependent?

Ken Frauwirth BioKen frauwirt at notmendel.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Feb 7 21:55:00 EST 1997

>In article <32F6EE3E.7779 at gemini.ci.uc.pt>, psantos at gemini.ci.uc.pt wrote:
>

>> My question is: is there any evidence to assume that different
>> individuals could present a Th1 or Th2 response to the same pathogen
>> (e.g. M. tuberculosis), developing resistance or susceptibility,
>> influenced by their MHC molecules and the peptides they select for
>> presentation?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> --
>> Paulo Santos

Kim Bottomly (at Yale) has presented data that the same peptide in the
context of 2 different MHC molecules can produce 2 different responses in
and in vitro culture system.  The peptide binds well to I-A(s), driving Th1
development, and poorly to I-A(b), driving Th2 development.  Alterations in
peptide binding affinities can be used to switch the responses.

Ken Frauwirth

--
Ken Frauwirth (MiSTie #33025)                         _           _
frauwirt at mendel.berkeley.edu                         |_) *    |/ (_ |\ |