Need gp160 clones for HIV IIIB, MN, BRU

Mark Luscher luscher at immune.med.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 13 09:03:42 EST 1997

Hi,

     I am trying to locate a source of cloned, full-length HIV
glycoprotein gp160 from the common laboratory strains IIIB, MN, and BRU.
I need the genes in expression or cloning vectors so that with any luck
I can move them into my expression vector pcDNA3.1/zeo.

     I have not been able to find a source of cloned gp160's anywhere on
the web, except for primary isolate gp160's at England's NIBSC (http://
www.nibsc.ac.uk/) and at the NIH's AID's reagent program (http://
www.niaid.nih.gov/reagent/default.htm).

     However, neither of these programs offers gp160 clones of the
common isolates, although they do offer genomic clones. I would prefer
not to work with the full length clones unless it is unavoidable.

     Of course, the gp160 clones exist. They are the basis of some
vaccine trials, and the source of commercially available recombinant
proteins.  I just don't know how to obtain similar clones for research
purposes.

     Any help would be appreciated.

     Thanks,
            Mark Luscher, Ph.D.
            Dept. Immunology, Univ. Toronto

P.S. I always appreciate it when replies can be cc:'d to my E-mail
address, as well as here to the newsgroup, since I get them much faster!
Thanks again!.  mailto:luscher at immune.med.utoronto.ca