labeling systems

Jim Kling jkling at nasw.org
Fri Feb 28 09:56:37 EST 1997

Hi all-

I posted a message a couple of months ago soliciting opinions for an
article that I was writing for The Scientist (http://www.the-scientist
library.upenn.edu/) on centrifuges.  That worked out so well I decided
to try it again.

This time, I'm writing a similar article on molecular labeling
systems.  The article will be a survey of products available (by no
means complete, but hopefully representative).  I'd like to get user
comments about:

1) What kinds of labeling systems are best suited to what kinds of
research?  (ie, DNA sequencing, transcription studies, chromosomal
imaging, etc).  Don't neglect to mention something because you think
its obvious; keep in mind that the readers of these articles are often
purchasing managers who may not be intimately familiar with research
uses (I may not be either, for that matter).

2) What advantages and disadvantages does each labeling system have
(ie cost, sensitivity, ease-of-use, etc).  Which of these properties
is most important to you?  Least important?

3) Are there specific deficiencies in current labeling technology?
(ie: It would be really great if labeling systems were capable of...)

4) What are the trends in labeling sytems?  Are there new approaches
that are gaining popularity, older ones that are fading away?

Please respond to jkling at nasw.org, and include your full name and
title (ie, molecular biologist, geneticist, etc) and
university/company affiliation so I can quote you appropriately.
Thanks!

--
Jim Kling
science/medical writing