B cell functional assays

Gras gras at dsvidf.cea.fr
Wed Jan 15 07:43:40 EST 1997

For assessing CD40, ICAM1 and LFA1 modulations, take care of
having a very thin distribution and use a quantitation kit (eg
QIFIkit from Dako). Modulations could be minor. You could perhaps
add B7s (CD80 and 86), CD71, CD25 detection.
We have never used LPS, a friend told me it was not very efficient
in human B cells.
SAC is rather near anti-Mu stimulation.
You can activite with anti-Mu coated beads and then perform flow
cytometry : beads are before cells in the scattergram (ours) and
do not keep attached during the staining.
We have no CD40L cell line, but we use G28.5 mAb from Pr E Clark
(Seattle WA) which activates well (10mcg/ml without any
crosslinking). Keep in mind that : (i) this mAb links an epitope
outside the CD40/CD40L site, but is a pretty good reagent (and the
Hybridoma is at ATCC) ; (ii) G28.5 treatment lead to high
background if you use indirect immunostaining.
In my opinion, I would use anti-Mu and/or SAC, and CD40 mAb
together with combinations of IL2/IL4.
For detailed assays description, read Virology 1996, 220:309-319,
which well describes our type of approach.

Hopping it helps, sincerely

Gabriel Gras