HLA typing

Paulo Santos psantos at gemini.ci.uc.pt
Thu Jan 23 15:21:57 EST 1997

Yiu-Loon Chui wrote:

> Can anyone out there kindly update me on the current advance in HLA
> typing, especially for HLA-A, B and C? Is serotyping still the main
> methodology? How about typing by PCR? Are there PCR primers available?
> How reliable are they?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yiu-Loon Chui
> Associate Professor

I'm performing HLA Class I (ABC) DNA typing by ARMS-PCR SSP and
PCR-SSOP.
Sure I find those techniques reliable.
There several papers on it, start by this one:

Phototyping: comprehensive DNA typing for HLA-A, B, C, DRB1, DRB3, DRB4,
DRB5, & DQB1 by PCR with 144 primer mixes utilising sequence-specific
primers (PCR-SSP)

M Bunce et al.
Tissue Antigens 1995, 46:355-367.

Feel free to ask for help.

--
Paulo Santos
Centro de Histocompatibilidade do Centro - LUSOTRANSPLANTE