5HT & Inflamation

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 26 20:24:37 EST 1997

In the response to this query (v. infra), reference was made to 5HT
secretion by mast cells.  I have read repeatedly that this is a
characteristic of RAT mast cells, but not of human mast cells--but of
course, "facts" change rapidly these days--cf. the finding of nonneural
NOS in neurons...  If you know of evidence that human mast cells can
produce 5HT, please email me!

Of course there are other routes for mmast cell/serotonin interaction:
cf. migraine.

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Grouyp

In <E7LF3z.MtF at uia.ua.ac.be> overveld at uia.ua.ac.be (Labo Longziekten)
>In article <GXBExGANwoNzEwdt at personcentred.demon.co.uk>, NewsCaster
><PsyNewsReplies at personcentred.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>Can anyone tell me the role played by 5HT in the imflamation responce
>>point me in the direction of a HTTP or FTP sources of such
>>or alternitively a UK book or article.
>Hi Peter.
>Serotonin or 5-hydroxytryptamine, is a compound derived from the amino
>tryptophan, that affects the diameter and permeability of blood
vessels, causes
>smooth muscle contraction (in some species) and also functions as a
>neurotransmitter. In the brain it is thought to influence mood: drugs,
such as
>LSD, that alter serotonin levels have hallucinogenic effects.
>Seotonin occurs in a preformed state in the granules of murine mast
>human blood platelets and enterochromaffin cells. It has a
pharmacologic role