Question: HIV, class I MHCs and T cells

Ian A. York iayork at
Fri Nov 21 09:26:07 EST 1997

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.971121084302.383A-100000 at>,
Joao Miguel N. Batista <df20728 at> wrote:
>	a) Does the infected helper T cell produce virus peptides after
>	   its entry?

>	b) Why the helper T cells do not express class I MHCs on their
>	   surface like so many other body cells? By the way, do cytotoxic
>	   T cells express them?

Th cells do express MHC class I, as do CTL.  And infected Th cells are
killed by CTL.

>2- I understand there are two classes of HIV virus identified, namely
>   HIV-1 and HIV-2. What are the differences between them?

An oversimplified answer is that HIV-2 is more closely related to SIV, and
infects humans less readily and is less virulent when it does infect

>possible, I prefer that you mail me your opinions/answers.

Posted and mailed.

    Ian York   (iayork at  <>