Can parasitic worms cause Asthma?

Omar O. Barriga barriga.2 at
Wed Nov 26 21:34:18 EST 1997

In article <347C3D6F.73C52246 at> Simon M <S.P.Mann1 at> writes:
In article <347C3D6F.73C52246 at> Simon M <S.P.Mann1 at> writes:
In article <347C3D6F.73C52246 at> Simon M <S.P.Mann1 at> writes:
>From: Simon M <S.P.Mann1 at>
>Newsgroups: bionet.immunology
>Subject: Can parasitic worms cause Asthma?
>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:17:03 -0400

>Does anybody have any information on Asthma with respect to Parasite
>induced conditions?
>help greatly appreciated

	Asthma is an atopic disease (this is, a disease of people with propensity to
allergies). Many parasites (particularly nematodes, and, among them,
particularly those that migrate in the tissues) trigger allergic reactions.
	The link has been mentioned several times in the literature: parasites may
trigger strong allergic reactions that, in atopic people, may exacerbate
allergic responses to antigens (like the house dust) that cause the asthmatic
	It makes scientific sense but I do not know of any reliable confirmatory
study yet.
	Please share your information if you find something,
				Omar O. Barriga