Simon Easterbrook-Smith sbe at
Thu Oct 2 20:16:42 EST 1997

The classical complement pathway is dependent on both Ca2+ and Mg2+ and the
alternative pathway is Mg2+ dependent, so EDTA will reversibly block both.

In article <6113e4$6hm at>, maniero at stripe.Colorado.EDU

|| Could anyone tell me if EDTA fixes complement?  I would like to be able to
|| look at cells and complement activity in the same blood sample.  I know
|| heparin won't work but was wondering about EDTA or citrate.
|| Thanks for your help
|| --
|| Greg Maniero                            | Stars move with silent sounds.

|| University of Colorado                  | The universe is calm.
|| Dept of Environmental, Population,      | Leaning on a staff, I climb
|| and Organismic Biology                  | up to the terrace.

Dr Simon B Easterbrook-Smith    Voice: (+) 612 9351 3905
Department of Biochemistry      FAX: (+) 612 9351 4726
University of Sydney            Email: sbe at
Sydney NSW 2006
Under U.S. Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, ß227, all
unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to my address from a U.S. account is
subject to a fee of $500.00 U.S. By E-mailing me you accept these terms.
cf. <>