Antibacterial agent

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Thu Oct 9 10:28:11 EST 1997

> Hello!
>
> My brother-in-law has been recommended to use sodium azide (NaN3) as an
> antibacterial agent in his antibody-storage-medium.
>
> What concentration should he use?
>
> Azide is rather nasty, could he use anything else?
>
> The answers should be sent to
>
> Henrik.Mosen at farm.lu.se
>
> Best Wishes!

Na-Azide is generally used at a final concentration of 0.02% - 0.1%.
Its not especially nasty unless you plan on drinking it or using it for
an after-shave (although you should be careful when disposing of stock
solutions down lead or copper pipes where it can form explosive lead or
copper azides.  I've never actually heard of this happening, but all the
text books warn of the possibility and recommend flusing with plenty of
water. Caveat emptor.).  Alternatively, you could use thimerosal at a
final concentration of 0.01% (but I don't recommend drinking that
either).  Regards to your brother-in-law. Cheers, -- Dom Spinella