cytosol samples

Rick Greene greenera at wmvx.dnet.dupont.com
Tue Oct 14 10:23:35 EST 1997

In article <3442A625.49E6DF8D at rug.ac.be>, KAREN TILMANT
<karen.tilmant at rug.ac.be> wrote:

> Hello,
> Can anyone tell me what exactly are cytosol samples which are sometime
> used
> routinely for oestrogen-receptor?
> Thanks
> Karen

Hi Karen,

My company formerly sold kits for the determination of estrogen and
progestin receptors. A cytosol is prepared from biopsy tissue by
homogenization of the weighed tissue in about 10 volumes of buffer
containing a reducing agent to preserve the activity of the receptors,
followed by ultracentrifugation in the cold at 105,000 x g for 30 minutes
to remove the nuclei and other particulate material. A typical cytosol has
a total protein content of 2 - 6 mg/mL. Let me know if you need any further
details.

Rick Greene