strange symptoms

Jean Sumption sumption at gci-net.com
Wed Oct 15 13:47:53 EST 1997

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into a continuing problem.

For the past year, I have had episodes of my scalp and the back of my
neck buring (like hot oil).  Sometimes the anterior sides of my upper
arms are involved.

My only relief is putting my head under cold water.  Two to three days
after this begins, my hair either falls out, or breaks off at the scalp
making my hair thin. My thyroid is normal and my ANA is negative.  I'm
49 and had a hysterectomy at age 26 for endometriosis so have been on
the same estrogen therapy for over 20 years.  The only other medications
I take are atarax for hives and tenormin for P.A.T.

This burning was so severe at one point that I cut my hair to about
three inches.  Everywhere my hair would touch, my skin would burn.  If I
wore it up, it seemed better.

I have tried many shampoos, rinses, etc...does not make a difference.
Eventually the symptoms reside and I can feel hair stubble.

I have quite an allergic history and almost felt as tho I were allergic
to my scalp hair.  This problem is not located any where else on my
body.  I'm a nurse and not a basket case. The doctors are stumped.
--
Thank  you in advance for any ideas you may have.  I really want my
pretty hair back.  Please email me at

sumption at gci-net.com
Jean Sumption