Detergent compatability in T cell assays?

Thomas Arroll twa at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 27 14:45:24 EST 1997

Hi,

I am working on a project which involves looking at T cell responses to
recombinant bacterial proteins.  One problem I have been having is that
some of the recombinant proteins that I have been expressing and affinity
purifying totally crash out of solution when I dialize out the denaturant
(8 M urea).  I have tried a number of standard tricks to try to keep these
proteins in solution with no avail including; 1) Step dialysis into an
intermediate urea concentration solution, 2) Dialysis into 10 mM Tris (pH
8.0). 3)  Dilution of protein prior to dialysis.  So, in regards to this
problem I have a few questions; 1)  Does anyone have any ideas of
additional things to try in order to keep my proteins in solution?, 2)
Are there any detergents that I can use that might be compatible with T
cell proliferation assay (mixed lymphocyte assay using rabbit
splenocytes).  3)  Are T cell responses to insoluble particulate antigens
comparable to that of soluble antigens.  As per my last question I have
read that macrophages will take up, process and present particulate
antigens more efficiently than soluble antigens, is this generally true?

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas W. Arroll
Department of Pathobiology