pancreatic islet isolation

Meredith Kraine Mkraine at med.unc.edu
Wed Sep 3 08:05:09 EST 1997

I am isolating murine pancreatic islets for transplantation and know
that they can be purified over a Ficoll gradient.  However, I have not
had any success with this method...I've been resuspending the cells in
25% Ficoll, and then layering 23%, 20.5%, and 11% Ficoll to make the
gradient.  I typically get 50-200 islets prior to resuspension in the
Ficoll, so I know they're there!  Any suggestions or different protocols
would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Meredith Kraine
UNC Chapel Hill, Dept. of Micro & Immunology