CD 4 cell isolation

NO SPAM Mizuno Scientist at mizuno.com
Fri Sep 5 00:51:21 EST 1997

I like the MACS system also.
For our larger separations, we ended up buying the Vario MACS system,
which costs quite a bit more than the starter MACS system.
However, for separating large and for RARE cell populations, it works
great.  I believe the Vario MACS is running about $5,000 or so now.
The conjugated "beads" (they really are not beads, and are MUCH
smaller than your cells) cost about $400-500.
The Vario MACS allows positive and negative selection capabilities,
and with the use of cleaveable beads, there are many uses.
We have isoalted human dendritic cells also with this system from
peripheral blood.
For CD4 cell isolation, I still recommend a FICOLL step prior to using
the MACS system. I would also pass the cells through a nylon mesh to
eliminate any cell clumps that may clog up the column.
Hope this helps!

-Mark Mizuno
Scientist at Mizuno.com