CD 4 cell isolation

NO SPAM Mizuno Mark at mizuno.com
Mon Sep 8 23:14:24 EST 1997

Geez.... I remember the old days when I used to boil the nylon wool in
acid, wash it, dry it, and then tease it, before weighing out the
proper amount and shoving it into a 20ml or larger syringe -- followed
by autoclaving the damn thing! (Am I showing my age here?!!  ;)  )
I found either FICOLLing the prep before hand was much easier than
running it through a column first!
It all depends on what you want to do with the cells once you "purify"
them.  When all else fails throw in tons of IL-2 and call it a day!
;) (Just kidding!)
The R&D System columns worked fairly well too, but it took longer than
the MACS system.  Accurate also had a few selection columns, but they
weren't very good either.  ALSO, stay away from those god awful
DynaBeads!  We threw ours away after a couple of tries.
Oh, here's another thing to consider regarding the MACS "beads" -- the
kind people at Miltenyi mention in somewhere, tucked away, that the
beads are not considered "sterile."  They claim that they are made
from sterile reagents, but do not guarantee sterile beads.  You must
filter them first through a small filter (Gelman has several types)
before hand.
-Mark Mizuno