Is a mixture of monoclonal antibodies "polyclonal"?

Rick Greene greenera at wmvx.dnet.dupont.com
Tue Sep 9 13:23:05 EST 1997

In article <5v2dau$58v$3 at news1.i1.net>, gendloff at mail1.i1.net (Elie
Gendloff) wrote:

>Has anyone ever heard of someone using a mixture of monoclonal
>antibodies for any reason, such as trying to form a lattice in a
>precipitation or agglutination procedure, or to avoid infringinf on a
>monoclonal antibody patent claim?

The NEN Life Science Products ELISA kit for the detection of herpes simplex
antigens (Herpchek) uses a cocktail of about 7 monoclonals as a detector
reagent. The intention in this case was to demonstrate the presence of Type
1 as well as Type 2 HSV, and to avoid missing a rare variant virus that may
be mutated in the site recognized by a single monoclonal. The use of a
monoclonal cocktail in an immunoassay is the subject of a US patent issued
several years ago. If it's important, I can find the patent number for you.

Good luck.
Rick