Cholera Toxin as Adjuvant?

Barbara Ruef bjruef at unix.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 23 10:39:20 EST 1997

We want to use cholera toxin as a mucosal adjuvant and this requires approval
from our animal care committee.  We have mixed intact cholera toxin with
microspheres at a dosage of 10 ug cholera toxin per mouse. Can anyone provide
LD 50 for cholera toxin in mice, as well as any possible side-effects,
potential for overdose, toxicity, lab safety and handling concerns. We need to
convince the committee (by noon today if possible) that cholera toxin is a
standard and widely used mucosal adjuvant so any references, etc. you might
have would be greatly appreciated.

  Christine T. McFarland
  Department of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics
  College of Medicine