HLA Typing

John Ladasky jladasky at pmgm.Stanford.EDU
Tue Sep 30 17:44:10 EST 1997

In article <v03007801b0570edac05c@[128.200.28.105]>,
Victor DeFilippis <vrdefili at UCI.EDU> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm looking for information (protocols, references, etc.) on the cheapest,
>quickest, and most recent methods used for HLA typing.  The specimens I'll
>be working with are paraffin embedded tissue biopsies and cervical smears.
>
>Thanks in advance!!
>
>vrdefili at uci.edu

Hello, Victor,

	I've added bionet.immunology to the distribution list.

	Needless to say, the "cheapest," "quickest," and "most recent" ways
to do HLA typing may not be embodied in a single approach.  Other factors
important to consider are the amount of information one needs to obtain, and
whether the data will be used in clinical diagnosis.

	Our lab works on class I MHC.  A few people in the group have used
the HLA Class I Sequence-Specific Primer PCR Typing Kit assembled by the
12th International Histocompatibility Workshop.  Our group likes this ap-
proach because we can identify allelic variants which cannot be discrimi-
nated by serology.  But there's a nice, big disclaimer in the manual that
warns you that the method is for research use only.  The medical community
still hasn't decided whether it wants to abandon serology yet, even with
all its faults -- and if it does switch methods, which of the new approaches
it will use.

	You can get more information about the SSP-PCR typing kit by writ-
ing to the following address --

	Tissue Antigen Laboratory
	Imperial Cancer Research Fund
	44, Lincoln's Inn Fields
	London WC2A 3PX
	United Kingdom

	or by sending a FAX to (44) 171-831-6786.

	As for MHC Class II, maybe someone else out there can volunteer
some helpful information about typing methods.